Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, WASHINGTON, DC
Integrated Facilities Services: HVAC, Mechanical, & Electrical Services
EMCOR GOVERNMENT SERVICES VALUE DELIVERED
EMCOR Government Services has demonstrated to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) the advantages of selecting a government facilities services leader with local resources; expertise in all areas of federal, state, and local government building operation, maintenance, and engineering; and a blend of commercial best practices and government contracting experience.
We Meet Unanticipated Requirements. At the start of our relationship with the FDIC, we confirmed our deep corporate resources, when the lead engineer and four other staff members from the previous contractor had notified us that they would transfer to our employment but they did not report to work. With the help of the corporate executives, we immediately transferred employees from nearby properties, assembled a temporary team, and ran the property flawlessly.
EMCOR Government Services Meets Uniquely Government Challenges. On 9/11, as many employees were evacuated from the FDIC, two individuals from each site and the project manager remained, assisting in any way possible, including answering phones. During the protests targeting the International Monetary Fund and World Bank, our facilities employees performed the work of janitorial staff members who were unable to reach the facility.
We Ensure the Highest Levels of Integrity and Reliability Through Security Infrastructure. All of our employees and subcontractors are thoroughly cleared through criminal and credit background checks.
We Work With the FDIC as the Contract Evolves. Our initial contract with the FDIC was a cost-plus initiative with an award fee, which required substantial paperwork for the FDIC and for us. We worked with the FDIC's contracting officer to convert to a firm fixed price structure in which we were responsible for repairs up to $5,000. We offset the increase in price by reducing paperwork and excluding ancillary repairs from the agency's budget.
EMCOR Government Services Earns In-house and Industry Accolades. Our FDIC team won the in-house competition for the Best Mechanical Operation; each of the chief engineers won the company's Employee of the Month award; and the FDIC’s Virginia Square facility also won the Trane Award for mechanical excellence in the region for three successive years.
INTEGRATED FACILITIES SERVICES SCOPE OF WORK
EMCOR Government Services' integrated facilities services responsibilities on the FDIC contract include:
- Mechanical Systems— HVAC Operation and maintenance of chillers, cooling towers, boilers, and all associated pumps, piping, computer controls, and monitoring equipment, and
sewage, plumbing, and water treatment systems.
- Electrical Services and Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) —Several types of electrical systems supplying utility and emergency power, including a 4.4 megawatt system.
- Interior and Exterior Lighting Systems —Operation, repair, and maintenance of all lighting
- Power Distribution to Computer Room—Operation and maintenance of nine power distribution units.
- Cafeteria Kitchen Equipment—Cleaning, maintenance, and repair of two cafeterias including grills, steamers, ovens, and refrigerators.
- Electronic Door Lock Systems—354 doors in the Student Residence Center.
- Architectural and Structural Sustaining Maintenance and Cleaning—Carpentry, cabinetry, touch-up painting, and blinds and curtain repair.
- Elevator Maintenance—Labor, materials, parts, and supplies for elevator inspections, routine preventive maintenance, repairs, and emergency after-hours services for elevators.
- Janitorial Services—Including window washing, trash removal, carpet and upholstery cleaning, garage cleaning, and snow removal.
- Commercial Landscaping and Plant Care—Including pruning, mulching, fertilizing, and maintaining and cultivating grass; providing and caring for plants in public areas of the FDIC facilities and in the offices of the FDIC chairman and his support staff.
FEDERAL FACILITY BACKGROUND
EMCOR Government Services' objective was to assemble a superior total facilities management and maintenance team that works as a unit to meet the specific requirements of the contract; demonstrate unusually high levels of customer service; and strive for 100 percent uptime of critical mechanical, HVAC and electrical systems. Because our initial contract was the FDIC’s first major initiative for facilities services outsourcing, we also wanted make certain that it was an overwhelmingly positive experience for the client.
TOTAL FACILITIES MANAGEMENT OBJECTIVES
EMCOR Government Services used the company’s knowledge of subcontractors in the mid-Atlantic to build a winning building operations and maintenance service team consisting of commercial landscaping, janitorial, elevator, and interior plant maintenance; energy management system; construction; water treatment; and mechanical/electrical specialty firms offering a “best value” package to the government. Our project manager’s seamless oversight of the in-house and subcontractor team has made us a valued partner to the agency. This facilities services project was also one of the first in which the entire EMCOR Government Services team was trained in customer service attitudes and actions that can achieve positive outcomes even in the most challenging situations.